Landlord's Guide

Book your free market appraisal now
Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial Customer testimonial

Over the last few years the lettings market has become a fierce market with many properties coming available which have been owner occupied and there for the standard of the properties available has increased. In order for your property to appeal in the current market there are several things you can do to help. A summary of the information is listed below, however do not hesitate to speak to one of our lettings team for further information.

Preparing the Property to Let

We have found that the key to the smooth running of the tenancy is a good relation with tenants. As property managers this is our job, however the tenant should feel at home in their new accommodation and that they are receiving value for money. Therefore if the property is clean, well presented and in good decorative order when they move in, they are more inclined to maintain the property themselves. It also goes a long way to achieving a higher rent level in the beginning. It is also beneficial to leave any instruction manuals for the incoming tenant you feel will be helpful.


Gardens should be neat and tidy, free from rubbish and with the lawns cut. This again will initially make the property more appealing. Tenants however are not experienced gardeners and therefore although it is in the tenancy agreement they maintain the garden, if you are particular about your garden it would be beneficial to employ the services of a gardener. This is a service we can help you with.

General Condition

Interior décor should be in good order including carpets and the electric, gas, plumbing, waste, central heating, and hot water system must be safe and in good order. The repair of the same are the responsibility of the landlord unless misuse can be established. The property should be thoroughly cleaned before the tenant moves in and the tenant must return the property in the same condition.


The property can be let furnished, part furnished or unfurnished, however any soft furnishings left in the property must comply with current fire regulations. As a minimum the property should have carpets, curtain / blinds as appropriate and lightfittings. Personal items should be removed form the property. Please be aware there will be wear and tear on items left.

Other Information


Where the property to be let is subject to a mortgage, permission is normally required from the lender.


We recommend that you confirm with your insurance brokers that your policy is not affected by the proposed letting. We do have the facility to provide information on insurance designed especially for the landlord for both buildings and contents. Please just ask for details.

Gas Appliances

All gas appliances must be checked by a registered installer approved by a Health and Safety Executive. The registered installer is currently a Gas Safe registered engineer. The services must be carried out annually and safety certificates issued to the ingoing tenants on commencement of their tenancy. bramleys can arrange for the relevant checks to be undertaken on your behalf.

Electrical Appliances

It is recommended all appliances are tested and deemed safe by an NICEIC qualified electrician. Again bramleys can arrange the relevant checks to be undertaken on your behalf.

Energy Performance Certificates

From 1st October 2008, if you are renting out your property, you will need to provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) to any prospective tenant. There is no need to obtain an EPC for an existing tenancy. Once obtained, a certificate remains valid for up to 10 years. If a valid Energy Performance Certificate still exists when changing tenants no new certificate is required. bramleys are able to offer our services to landlords. The resulting EPC issued to you will provide you with clear information on the energy performance of the property and the cost effective means for improvement.

Taxes and Management

If the landlord of the furnished property resides abroad, the Commissioners for Inland Revenue will hold us, as your Agent, responsible for payment of the tax liability which arises on rents collected by us on your behalf. Accordingly, if you are resident abroad, it will be necessary for us to deduct income tax at the basic rate and hold the amount so deducted to your credit until the taxation liability has been agreed with the Inspector of Taxes. Similarly, if you at present live within the UK but subsequently move abroad, it will be necessary for us to commence this deduction from the time you leave this country. The monies deducted will be placed in a deposit account. We suggest that you employ accountants or other tax advisors to agree your assessment each year with the Inspector of Taxes.

Interested? Please contact bramleys!

Find out how can we help you! Call our head office on 01484 530361 or browse our branches to find out which is most convenient for you to get in touch.

alternatively, e-mail us